If you are expecting any time soon then yeast infection during pregnancy treatment is a must for you to know.
Vaginal Yeast infection is said to be quite common during pregnancy especially during the second trimester.
Though it does not cause any harm to you or to your baby but still it is one of the main causes of discomfort and pain.
Yeast infection basically occurs due to the overgrowth of yeast. The other name of yeast infection is ‘Monilial Vaginitis’ and ‘Vaginal Candidiasis’.
The immune system during pregnancy becomes weak and thus your body is more prone to suffer from yeast infection.
The presence of Yeast is said to be quite common in our vagina as well as intestinal tract. However it becomes a problem when it grows at a fast pace and goes out of control.
The prime cause of vaginal yeast infection is the high estrogen level in the body of the pregnant woman.
The high estrogen level to the production of more glycogen in the vagina and thereby the growth of yeast accelerates. Further it sticks to the walls of the vagina and thus causes yeast infection.
Symptoms of Yeast Infection during Pregnancy
Here are some of the main symptoms of yeast infection which may occur during pregnancy:
- Odorless vaginal discharge
- Discomfort during sex
- Burning sensation during urine
Causes of Yeast Infection During Pregnancy
- Hormonal changes in the body which occurs during pregnancy
- Taking excessive amount of birth control pills
- Intake of antibiotics or steroids
- High blood sugar if you have diabetes
- Vaginal intercourse
Yeast Infection Treatment for Pregnant Women
The common adage ‘Prevention is better than cure’ holds true for yeast infection too. It is always good if in one way or the other we try our best to prevent the vaginal infection from occurring.
The first and the foremost way in which you can prevent yeast infection from occurring is by keeping vagina clean and dry. Hygiene matters a lot in order to prevent infection from occurring.
- It is recommended that you should wear breathable cotton underwear during pregnancy.
- It is best to avoid wearing tight pants and pantyhose.
- Never wear underwear at the time of sleeping during night, this is to ensure that fresh air reaches your vaginal area.
- Always change your underwear after you come back from walking or exercising. Never let sweat get accumulated in the vaginal area.
- Try to clean your genital area with lukewarm water.
- Limit the intake of sugar because high sugar level promotes the growth of yeast.
- Sanitary pads, deodorants, bubble baths all should be avoided to prevent any kind of skin irritation or infection.
Natural Remedies for Yeast Infection during Pregnancy
Yoghurt: Yoghurt is one of the most common remedy for treating yeast infection naturally. However, it is best to take plain yoghurt which should not contain any kind of sweetener.
Yoghurt is known to contain live acidophilus which is effective in combating yeast infections. Include more of yoghurt in your diet.
You can even apply yoghurt with a clean finger on your vagina. This helps in easing out the itching and irritation, frozen yoghurt works best.
Boric Acid: Various studies have suggested that boric acid too can be a safe and inexpensive natural remedy for yeast infection.
However this study has not been done on pregnant women so if you want to take these capsules consult your doctor first.
Cranberry Juice: Unsweetened cranberry juice is known to reduce the burning sensation caused in the urine due to yeast infection.
Cranberry juice is also said to be quite effective in the treatment of urinary tract infection (UTI) which too is quite common during pregnancy.
Garlic and Cloves: Both of these are said to be antimicrobial and antifungal in nature, Try to include these in your daily diet either in the food or else in salad.
Tea tree oil: Tea tree oil is also antimicrobial in nature and you need to take its suppositories twice daily in the morning and at bedtime.